Author Topic: ...Izee's Thread  (Read 315240 times)

Offline Izee

Re: ...Izee's Thread
« Reply #1395 on: August 22, 2024, 10:01:03 PM »
The GD Junior Partner... ::)

I have related in prior posts, the big jerk who was a partner in that awful Law Firm I worked for.  I was proposed to become a partner in the Firm, I was developing a nice business and tax practice, the others mostly handled cases for Insurance Companies, and was bring a lot more money into the Firm than what they were paying me.  I had groused to the Senior Partner that I should be getting paid more, but he just figuratively patted me on my head and said, "Look, this is how you are investing into the partnership.  You will have to buy in, when we invite you to become a partner, and the money you are collecting now will be taken into account in setting the buy in."

Being me...I believed him...and continued to work a lot of hours, and worked to develop some regular business clients.  I had three of them when I left, they were all in Construction, and needed a lot of legal advice.  They also appreciated that, as a CPA, I could take the costs and risks of litigation in advising them.  The damn Junior Partner (JP) would make all sorts of promises to prospective clients in order to get as much money as possible.  One client was very happy when I got him out of a large lawsuit by giving the plaintiff $1,500, the other parties didn't settle and had to go through a month long Jury Trial.  (Their attorneys were DELIGHTED to earn a lot of money).

Their Partnership broke up a couple years after I left, and the partners sued each other.  I got called as witness, since as the Senior Associate, I was present during a lot of 'discussions' between the Senior and Junior Partners.  The JP subpoenaed me, he believed that I had seen, and knew, a LOT of facts that could help his case.  The Senior Partner was worried when I showed up at the Trial.  But...

...I just couldn't remember a lot of what he questioned me about.  I testified that I certainly wasn't present when they were discussing such confidential Firm matters, and had no recollection of others.  He worked on me for about 30 minutes, and then I was dismissed by the Judge because the JP was LOSING IT!  I mean, he was pacing back and forth, and raising his voice, and pounding the table as he angrily questioned me, and I just sat, calm, and replied that I either wasn't present during an event, or simply didn't remember it.  "It didn't involve me or any of my clients or cases, so I wasn't paying attention" I would say.  The JP was ACTUALLY having what looked like a TANTRUM at the end, and the Judge called a recess and sent me home.

A few months later, I was in the Judges office presenting an Ex Parte Motion, and he commented as he signed it..."You may want to get examined by a Neurologist, you seem to have memory problems..." but he was grinning as he said it.  I took the order, and replied, "I actually went to a Neuro to learn techniques on how to FORGET certain things.  Going through life burdened by bad memories is no fun."  The Judge laughed as I left...

...He had ruled against the JP on many matters and issues in the Partnership Dissolution Case...

Offline Izee

« Reply #1396 on: September 08, 2024, 03:58:54 PM »
I was a bit 'out of control' in my Frosh year of College.  I was enrolled in the Conservatory of Music, and kinda had it in for my Cello Professor.  I was a Performance Major, and had an hour long lesson with him each week.  Those could be the LONGEST hours of my life if I hadn't practiced enough...Emoji...but very uplifting when I was prepared for the lesson.  Early in my first year, he adjusted, very subtly, the way I held the bow, and that made a HUGE improvement in my ability to play quick notes.

I had a VERY strong facial resemblance to him, people thought that I was his daughter when we were together.  Once, I was standing by his desk, he also taught Harmony, and a girl said, very loudly, "Wow, they DO look alike!"  Me, with my juvenile sense of humor said, "Well, that's 'cause I been very sick, very very sick."  He replied, "Well, guess who just flunked the cello". 

One day, I had an "inspirational" idea, and enlisted (nagged) a guy to help me.  I bought a large piece of wallpaper that had bricks printed on it.  I also got tape, and borrowed a small step ladder, and the plan was to tape it over the door to his office when he was giving a lesson. The idea was that he would open the door, and see a brick wall in front of him.  I thought that would be funny.  Emoji  Well, he heard us when we just started, and opened the door.  I looked down at him, I was on the ladder, and just smiled.  We quickly packed up the stuff and stole away...

Well, we couldn't just let it go, so we went up to my Piano Professors Office, where I also underwent a weekly hour long lesson, and we were successful!  We got the door 'walled in', and took off.  We didn't stay for the end.  We heard that when he saw that he was walled in, he had his student stand back, and he jumped through the wall...a few other students were standing around...the girl he was teaching was very amused.  He was a VERY PROPER German Piano Professor.

I heard that he, somehow, figured out who did that.  When asked, he said,

..."I believe that it was a young cellist..."

Offline Izee

« Reply #1397 on: September 12, 2024, 07:02:38 AM »
..Only in California... :o

As is being well publicized, good ol' California is sinking into a third world country.   :P

San Francisco used to be one of the Premium Cities of the World, and now it is not safe to live or even visit anymore.  People are moving out of S.F. because of the crime and danger of all of the third world street people that Biden is flying in.  Long term stores are closing, and Hotels are shutting down. The Street People have claimed areas that even the POLICE will not enter because of the danger.  And, it is ALL BECAUSE OF THE DAMN LIBERALS that run the City.  Well, the idiots who live there voted them in, so they are paying the price.  Now...Guess who the Liberals are blaming????

...They are blaming the REPUBLICANS, because responsible Republicans are not winning elections!!!!!

...Hell's Bells, when the Liberals constitute about 80% of the voters, just HOW is a conservative Republican going to get elected????  Conservative Republicams are FLEEING the State!!!

Have you EVER HEARD of such a STUPID ARGUMENT???  The Democrats are saying, "Hey, we need Republicans to keep us in check, otherwise we Democrats will run a City AND a State into the ground!!!"

I have a personal obligation to stay in CA, I am living with my elderly Mother and helping her out, and paying most of the bills.  I have suggested moving, but she just does not want to move.  This house was built for my parents decades ago, and all of her cherished friends live nearby.  I respect that, we do live in a safe area of the Bay Area, and we have a burglar alarm, and well, I am armed.  I do not let Mom see my weapons, she would get very scared.  I sleep on the first floor now, so I can get up quickly if the alarm ever goes off in the night.

But, when the time comes when I have no obligations, I will gather up my stuff and head out.  And, hey, a LOT of Californians are doing just that.  So, If a Californian moves near you all in other States, get to know them and give them a chance.  They will probably be happy to be in a State and a City that is safe and sane.

Offline Izee

« Reply #1398 on: September 12, 2024, 05:14:13 PM »
...I need to add to the above...

The other thing fueling miserable life in California are the lax laws, and lax enforcement.  I mean, if you get caught stealing less than $950 from a Store, the police will just give you a citation and let you go!  So, the criminals just laugh, and the immigrants think that that is the way things are in the good old USA!  Storekeepers don't bother calling the Police anymore, since nothing is done, and the Police don't show up in less than 30-40 minutes if they are called.

Offline Izee

« Reply #1399 on: September 19, 2024, 06:55:22 PM »
...Easy to Entertain... ;D

As I have previously posted, I am VERY easy to entertain.   ::)  Probably speaks to my mental maturity.  In business and practicing Law, I was very formidable.  I didn't smile, and wouldn't engage in casual conversation.  But, when in a relaxed area, my mind regressed to that of a child...so it was very easy to capture my attention and get me into whatever was going on.

In College, two upperclasswomen invited me to live with them in a nice Apt, and I was delighted to accept.  It was in a nice facility close to the campus, and it had a SWIMMING POOL!  They were fairly easy to live with, although when you have three young woman living together, things could get interesting.  Once, we didn't speak to each other for a week, and preparing meals was quite complicated, since we didn't want to be in the kitchen at the same time.  But, we had a similar sense of humor, and other people didn't always understand why we would laugh.  We did make a habit of having Sunday dinner together, we rotated preparing a dinner for all three of us, and we would watch a movie.  Cynthia and I would save our money when our turns approached, and both of us would spend all afternoon preparing a nice dinner.  We both REALLY lost it when Diane set pre-frozen chicken pot pies in front of us...she was a lazy person.

One time, we went to the theater and saw Dr. Zyvago (sp)  We LOVED it, and especially liked the scene where the Dr. and his wife return to the family mansion after the Communist Revolution, and find it full of street people.  The people are pillaging the place, and the Dr. doesn't know what to do, and then a local Communist Commissar walks in, stands by the door, and the street people all stop and look at him.  He doesn't say a word, he just has a baleful look on his face, and he snaps his fingers...and all of the street people leave! 

So, we three would play the scene.  I would be the Commissar and walk into the Apt, stop at the door, and look at them and snap my fingers.  They would pretend to get scared, and would quickly leave...and then come right back in and we would laugh.  Once, I did that when they had some male guests over, and the guests were startled when the women left, and I just stood there, staring at them for a minute.  We girls all thought it was funny, the guys just didn't get it.

The two were both bassoonists, and I was amazed at just how much time they spent making the mouthpiece reeds.  The oboe and the bassoon are 'doubled reed' instruments.  The reeds are lashed to a metal tube, and the bassoonist blows through the reeds to get air into the instrument.  There is only a small gap at the end of the reeds, so that is why bassoon and oboe players always have red faces when they play their horns.  I asked them when they actually practiced, and they said that they didn't...that the instrument was easy...you just had to get the reeds made right.   :o :P ::)

...(There was more I wanted to chat about...but I FORGOT!!!  I took a walk before I started typing, so I guess the walk cleared my mind.)

Oh, and the Tchaikovsky 6th symphony.  The bassoon has the opening theme...and it is eerie and OMINOUS!!!  It hints of danger and loss ahead.  Please do listen to it, it has so much emotion expressed in it.  There is a carefree celebration, and much more... ;)